Best places to get engaged in London
Step aside Paris, the new city of love is London! There's nowhere better than London to pop that special question to your beloved. Christmas and New Year were found to be two of the most popular times of the year to propose, with searches for "engagement rings" increasing by 22% from November to January (SV 301k-386k), and it's easy to see why!
From romantic Michelin-star restaurants, to beautiful parks, and much more, London is a city filled with history, romance and beautiful backdrops to make your proposal as perfect as it can be. Whether your partner enjoys a romantic stroll in nature or loves nothing better than fine dining, read on to discover where experts at luxury jewellers Austen & Blake suggest proposing in London that will guarantee a 'yes!'.
Wine and dine them
From intimate dinners to sophisticated drinks, London has a plethora of eateries, restaurants, and intimate bars to set the scene for your perfect proposal. Order some delicious food and a bottle of champagne before presenting them with the ring for a perfect evening of romance.
1. Aviary Beautiful views and incredible food are on offer at Aviary Rooftop Restaurant and Bar. This luxury restaurant in the sky offers drinks and seasonal dishes served with some of the best views over London, making it an extra special place to propose. Get down on one knee with the glittering background of the city behind you and, if you head up there during the winter, you can even enjoy your evening cosied up in an individual igloo.
2. Circolo Popolare Stepping into Circolo Popolare is a little like waltzing into an episode of Bridgerton. Adorned with hanging flowers, candles and fairy lights, this restaurant wins first prize for Italian romantic restaurants. Famous for its giant cheese wheels full of pasta and 10-layer lasagna, the opulent eatery in fitzrovia is a feast for the eyes as well as the stomach and makes a beautiful place to propose.
3. GONG Bar - The Shard The 72 floor-high building plays host to a luxury hotel, offices, and a whole host of restaurants. One of the most romantic of them is GONG Bar. This sophisticated bar on the 52nd floor is the perfect place for sunset cocktails and late-night drinks. Spend the evening admiring the impressive view of the city before getting down on one knee with the glittering background behind you.
Michelin-star luxury What better way to be romantic than with an absolutely delicious and intimate dinner? London is brimming with Michelin-star restaurants, rated for their delectable fare, impeccable wine lists, and intimate atmospheres. There are so many, we couldn't pick just one but just know that you'll never leave one of these restaurants hungry or unsatisfied. Whether you add a little spice to your evening by enjoying the theatrics of Amaya, an Indian restaurant serving contemporary dishes using traditional methods, or opt for a luxe French meal at Chez Bruce for a taste of real charcuterie, you can't go wrong with these high-end meals. Treat your loved one to the ultimate dinner before getting down on one knee to pop the question and the bubbly - they'll have stars in their eyes in no time.
Take a stroll together
If your lover enjoys beautiful views or likes to spend time in nature, these proposal ideas are for you. Take a walk on the natural side for the perfect backdrop to getting down on one knee, no matter the season.
4. South Bank This area of London plays host to multiple possible proposal spots. From the soaring views from the London Eye to the bridges crossing the Thames, you're spoilt for choice on this stretch of the river. Take a stroll together before getting down on one knee in front of the Houses of Parliament or hire out a private pod on the London Eye to pop the question in. After they say yes, celebrate by getting a drink in one of the many nearby restaurants and bars overlooking the river for the ultimate romantic evening.
5. The Church of St Dunstan in the East Set within the ruins of a Wren church halfway between London Bridge and the Tower of London, the Church of St Dunstan of the East is an absolutely gorgeous place to propose. Once a stunning building, but still no less beautiful, it has become overrun by plants and is now an enchanting public park which makes for a truly unique London proposal location - especially in autumn when the leaves have begun to change colour.
6. Queen Mary's Rose Garden Nestled away in The Regent's Park's south side, you can find the rose gardens of Queen Mary. Roses have many different meanings from love to friendship and even courage so they're the perfect way to convey exactly how you feel. The beautiful garden is dotted with ornate benches inviting lovers to take a seat...or a knee.
7. Hampstead Heath Pergola Faded grandeur, wistful romance, and climbing vines – Hampstead Heath Pergola is one of London's hidden gems. Once upon a time, it was the spot for lavish garden parties but now, nature has crept in and it has become the perfect, romantic place to propose. Enjoy the tranquil atmosphere and its fairytale feel.
Go All Out
Sometimes, words aren't enough to tell them exactly how you feel. If you love to be loud and proud about your love for your partner, go all out with the private hire of special places, and proclaim your love over the entire city. Take some inspiration from these big gestures.
8. Tower Bridge Perfect for those who love to make grand gestures but prefer their proposal to be a more intimate affair, you can privately hire the walkway at the very top of Tower Bridge. Pop the question while overlooking the city and River Thames for the perfect display of your love. The best part? You can decorate the space as you like! Fill it with flowers, petals, and candles to create a super romantic atmosphere - they won't be able to say anything but 'YES!'.
9. Royal Observatory Have your love written in the stars. Perfect for the true romantics and astronomers alike, the Royal Observatory in Greenwich offers private hire of the planetarium, complete with your names written in the night sky - it doesn't get more romantic than this. Proposing at the observatory means you get the private hire of the 132-seat planetarium, your own astronomer to direct the show, and the perfect cover story to help your proposal go smoothly. They boast a 100% success rate and you can also go back to get married.
10. London Aquarium One of the most unique proposal ideas can be found at the bottom of the deep blue of the London Aquarium. If you're not opposed to getting a bit wet, expert divers can help you sink down into the water itself (wearing diving gear of course), holding a sign out to your loved one with the big question on it. When they say yes, dry off and celebrate with champagne!